He was born in Maharashtra on May 19, 1938. He got his bachelor's degree from the Karnatak University in 1958 and then proceeded on a fellowship to study at Oxford where he secured his M.A. degree in 1963.
Karnad is internationally known as a playwright, but is also a highly talented film-maker, a versatile actor, an able cultural administrator, a noted communicator and a person of wide accomplishments and interests. Based on his serious explorations of folklore, mythology and history, the subject of his plays reflect the problems and challenges of contemporary life, and endeavour to forge a link between the past and the present. The creative intellectual that he is, he obviously views the subjects of his plays from his own perspective, develops them in the crucible of his own imagination and personal experiences, and employs them as a medium to communicate his own-independent and original-feelings, thoughts and interpretations.
Honours and awards:
1. Central Sangeeth Natak Akademi award for his play Hayavadana
2. Kamaladevi Chattopadhyaya award in 1978.
3. His play "Nagamandala" was premiered in Minneapolis in the USA.
4. Staged all over the world
5. Samskara won the best film award
6. Vamsha Vriksha got national and state awards
7. Visiting professor at the University of Chicago in 1987-88
8. Director of the Film and Television Institute of India
9. Chairman of the Central Sangeeth Natak Akademi
10. Jnanpith award
5. Hittina Hunja Taledanda
6. Agni mathu Male
7. Tippuvina Kannasugalu
8. Translated his plays from Kannada into English
9. Translated his play Tughalak into German and Hungarian.
10. He is an Director, actor and screenplay writer for many Kannada movies such as Samskara, Vamsha Vriksha, Kadu, Kanooru Heggadithi.
|Copyright © 2018, KarnatakaVision.com - All Rights Reserved. Kerala Tourism and Hotels|